Vegan Double Chocolate Cupcakes
It's easy, super gooey and so indulgent! Airy, fluffy and beginner-friendly.
Servings 9 cupcakes
Icing bag and nozzle
Cupcake tin and liners
FOR THE CUPCAKE
- 225 ml almond milk or other unsweetened plant milk
- 3 tsp vinegar
- 115 g vegan butter melted
- 70 g white sugar equals ½ cup of white sugar
- 130 g plain white flour equals 1 cup of plain white flour
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 6 tbsp cocoa powder
FOR THE ICING
- 180 g vegan butter
- 300 g icing sugar
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 6 tbsp cocoa powder
- ½ tsp almond milk unsweetened
- Optional toppings: sprinkles, powdered sugar, cocoa nibs, rose petals
FOR THE CUPCAKES
Combine almond milk and vinegar (to create what is called vegan sour milk). Stir and set aside.
In a separate bowl mix melted butter and sugar.
Pour over your sour milk and stir.
In a separate bowl, sift all your dry ingredients. Mix well.
Add your wet mixture to your dry ingredients and mix until just combined. Don’t overmix.
Line your cupcake tin with paper.
Pour or spoon in your mixture until the cupcake mould is ¾ full.
Bake at 180°C / 356°F (fan oven) for 20-25 minutes. Remove the cupcakes when a wooden pick inserted into the middle comes out clean.
Remove the cupcakes when a wooden pick inserted into the middle comes out clean.
FOR THE CHOCOLATE ICING
Whisk together all your icing ingredients using a metal or electric whisk. It’s very important that your icing is stiff and holds its shape.
Check if your icing is stiff enough. Run a fork, spoon or spatula through the icing. If it stays still and firm, your icing is ready. If not, add more icing sugar one tbsp at a time.
Grab your icing and spoon it into your icing bag to fill it.
When filled, grab your bag and turn the top a few times to secure it. Try to squeeze out any air bubbles that might be in there.
Start at the outer side and create a spiralling circle on top of your cupcake. Move slowly but firmly.
Optional step: top off with powdered sugar.
- Do not overmix your cupake mixture. When you're adding your wet ingredients to your dry mixture, make sure you've mixed them until just combined.
- Do not overfill your cupcake tin. Fill only about ¾ full.
- The perfect cupcake needs stiff icing that holds its shape. If your icing is not stiff enough, add more powdered sugar.
- Make sure to remove any air bubbles in your icing.
- Practice the first icing swirl on a plate before icing your first cupcake.
Calories: 424kcal | Carbohydrates: 57g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 23g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Sodium: 249mg | Potassium: 299mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 32g | Vitamin A: 1252IU | Calcium: 113mg | Iron: 2mg