Vegan Taco Salad
Refreshing, crunchy and colourful vegan taco salad for the perfect rainbow dish.
- 1 tsp olive oil or other light vegetable oil
- 1 red onion
- 1 cup green lentils from a can
- 3 tbsp taco spice mix can be substituted for other spice mix such as fajita, BBQ, etc
- 20 cherry tomatoes
- 75 g lettuce
- 250 g kidney beans equals 1,5 cup (from a can)
- 250 g sweetcorn equals 1,5 cup (from a can)
- 8 tbsp vegan yoghurt unsweeetened
- 1 avocado
- 6 tortilla wraps
- salt and pepper to taste
- 40 g shredded vegan cheese optional
- chives, parsley optional
Finely chop ½ red onion.
Heat up oil in a medium-sized frying pan. Add the chopped onion and gently fry for about 8 minutes until transluscent and starting to gently brown on the outside edges.
Add lentils and taco mix to your pan. Then fry gently for another 15 minutes.
Taste and add more taco mix or salt/pepper according to taste.
In the meantime, finely chop the remaining onion, tomatoes and avocado.
To make your vegan dressing, mix unsweetened vegan yoghurt and a good pinch of salt. Mix well. Add thinly chopped parsley or chives (ot both).
Warm up your tortilla wraps in a non-stick pan until crispy (about 1-2 minutes on high heat).
Once you've finished frying your lentils and chopped your ingredients, serve your salad.
Gather all the ingredients and place them neatly in a large bowl. Tear up your crispy tortilla. Add salt and pepper according to taste and top off with your salad dressing.
- Make it gluten-free by using gluten-free tortilla wraps.
- Make it oil-free by frying in water instead of oil.
- For your yoghurt dressing, make sure you use unsweetened vegan yoghurt.
- Not a fan of yoghurt dressings? Serve with guacamole, tahini, spicy salsa, garlic mayo or any other dressing of your choice.
- Feel free to customise according to taste.
- I used wholewheat tortilla wraps.
- The wraps can be substituted with tortilla chips.
- Can be refrigerated in an airtight container for 3-4 days.
Calories: 522kcal | Carbohydrates: 77g | Protein: 28g | Fat: 13g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Cholesterol: 2mg | Sodium: 134mg | Potassium: 1449mg | Fiber: 29g | Sugar: 9g | Vitamin A: 788IU | Vitamin C: 34mg | Calcium: 118mg | Iron: 8mg