Vegan Pigs in Blankets - Easy Carrot Party Snack
The perfect party snack, these vegan pigs in a blanket are so delicious you will never guess they're based on carrots!
Servings 20 pigs in a blanket
PIGS IN BLANKETS
- 2 large carrots or 24 baby carrots
- 2 teaspoon olive oil or other light oil
- 2 teaspoon soy sauce
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1,5 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon paprika powder
- 1,5 teaspoon herbs de Provence
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 package vegan puff pastry 320g or 11 oz
OPTIONAL DIPPING SAUCE
- 1 tablespoon mustard
- 1 tablespoon vegan mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon unsweetened almond milk for brushing
- 1,5 tablespoon sesame
- 1 teaspoon herbs de Provence
Wash and trim carrots into halves or quarters (roughly about 3 cm-1 inch thick and 6 cm-2 inch long). If you're using baby carrots no need to cut them.
Prepare your marinade by mixing all the remaining ingredients from the 'pigs in blankets' section above (except vegan puff pastry).
Rub the marinade onto your carrots to infuse them with flavour. If desired, set aside for 15 minutes for a more intense flavour.
Place the marinated carrots onto a lined baking tray. Bake at 180°C/356°F for 30 to 35 minutes until tender but not too soft.
In the meantime, mix all your dipping sauce ingredients and set aside.
Remove the carrots from the oven and let cool slightly.
Roll out your puff pastry. If you want all your pigs in a blankets to look uniform, make sure to measure out your puff pastry and slice it into equal rectangles.
Wrap carrots in puff pastry and place them on a lined baking sheet.
Brush with almond milk and sprinkle with sesame seeds and herbs de Provence.
Bake at 200°C/392°F (fan oven) for 20 minutes or until golden brown around the edges.
Serve with the dipping sauce or other favourite condiments.
- Use large, thick carrots for best results. Thin carrots will become even thinner when roasted and you won't have a good 'bite' left.
- I used Jus-Rol's ready rolled puff pastry sheet (not sponsored).
- I encourage you to follow the recipe to the dot to make sure you’re using enough herbs & spices.
- If you are missing any of the marinade ingredients in this recipe, don’t just skip them, substitute for a different herb or spice.
- When wrapping your carrots in pastry, it’s important that the pastry overlaps at the bottom.
- If you want to get experimental, use rainbow carrots.
- If you're not using a fan oven function, bake at 220°C/428°F.
- To store, place in an airtight container and eat within 2-3 days.
- Use gluten-free puff pastry for a gluten-free version.
- Best enjoyed straight out of the oven - just don't burn your tongue like I always do!
Calories: 110kcal | Carbohydrates: 10g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 4g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 155mg | Potassium: 68mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 2615IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 15mg | Iron: 1mg