This vegan scrambled egg will satisfy all your breakfast cravings! Protein-rich silken tofu serves as a great base, plus, there's a secret egg-like ingredient! You simply just need to try it to believe it!
Let’s have a good look!
Why you need to make this vegan scrambled egg recipe TODAY
Wondering why you should choose this exact vegan scrambled eggs recipe?
- It’s a HEALTHY, LOW FAT ALTERNATIVE TO EGGS. Want to kick-off your day with a healthy dose of plant protein? This is your chance.
- TAKES JUST 10 MINUTES. Who has the time to whip up a very complicated breakfast recipe? I, for one, certainly don’t. This no-fuss recipe is the perfect chance to eat a healthy brekkie while also enjoying a few extra minutes of sleep.
- CONTAINS A SECRET INGREDIENT. It’s all about this one secret ingredient - BLACK SALT. When I first incorporated black salt into my tofu scramble, my MIND WAS BLOWN. I recommend getting it from your local health store or Amazon. If you’re not able to get your hands on it, you can still easily make this recipe. Just keep in mind it won’t taste as eggy!
- IT’S A FAIL-PROOF RECIPE THAT JUST WORKS. Fun fact: before I went vegan, I used to be a true egg master! My scrambled egg was a family favourite. I’ve used this knowledge and twisted the recipe to create the most eggy vegan tofu dish.
- IT’S OH SO VERSATILE. I can’t be the only one that just ADORES recipes that double up as many different meals? Want a nice breakfast option? Here you go. Want a light lunch? Perfect. Want a sandwich filling? Easy. Our vegan scrambled egg is here to make your meal planning way easier. I know how it feels when you constantly need to think of brand new recipes. So this one is here for you to use whenever and wherever you want!
Sounds egg-citing? Wait until you see all the beautiful step-by-step instructions! Ready? Let’s dive right in!
Ingredients for your vegan scrambled egg
When making your dreamy vegan eggs substitute scramble don’t forget to put these ingredients on your shopping list:
- SILKEN TOFU - serves as the base for our recipe
- BLACK SALT - our star ingredient needed to create the egg-like scent & taste
- TURMERIC POWDER - to add that gorgeous yellow colour
- BLACK PEPPER - to add that extra kick of flavour
- GARLIC POWDER - to perfectly round off our seasoning
You will also want to add these delicious toppings (optional, but delicous):
- FRESH CHIVES
- PINE NUTS
- SALAD CRESS
Yep, this covers it all! Who knew making a vegan egg was so easy, am I right?
Before we jump straight in with our vegan scrambled egg - if you’re enjoying this recipe, subscribe to my newsletter below and instantly receive printable 90 Vegan Meal Ideas straight to your inbox!
HOW TO MAKE VEGAN EGGS: STEP-BY-STEP INSTRUCTIONS
Let’s have a look at our steps below. This is a quick visual guide through the scramble making process. All measurements can be found in the recipe card below.
1. DRAIN WATER FROM YOUR TOFU.
First you will want to make sure that you’ve drained the water from your tofu. Don’t worry, you don’t need a tofu press. Simply cut open a small piece of the packaging and gently press to let out all the water.
2. WARM UP YOUR PAN.
Now it’s time to grab your large non-stick pan and heat it up. I usually wait for it to warm up for about 1 minute on medium high heat. There’s no need to use any oil, but if you do, I recommend a drizzle of sesame oil.
3. CRUMBLE UP YOUR TOFU
Crumble up the tofu block in your hands above the pan and let it fall into the pan. Don’t worry if there are some larger blocks left. Not everything needs to be perfectly crumbled up at the start as silken tofu will easily fall apart by itself later. Leave on medium heat and stir occasionally.
4. ADD SEASONING
Add garlic powder, turmeric, paprika powder, crackle in some black pepper and a bit of salt (optional - please mind that we are adding sea salt here and NOT black salt yet). Stir well. Keep stirring occasionally for about 6 minutes.
5. FINISH OFF WITH BLACK SALT.
This is where all the magic happens, people! Black salt is our star ingredient that will transform this dish from delicious to MIND-BLOWING. Wait until your tofu is cooked and ready for serving before adding the gorgeous black salt. This is also the time to add any herbs or other toppings - I strongly recommend chives, pine buts, water cress and sesame.
See! Told ya it was gonna be easy!
MY TOP TIPS FOR PERFECTING YOUR VEGAN EGG RECIPE
- ADD BLACK SALT AT THE END! I can’t stress this enough! Always add your black salt right at the end. I actually learnt this rule from a professional plant-based chef, so it’s certainly one you don’t want to break.
- DON’T BE AFRAID TO CUSTOMISE! Another perk of this recipe? It serves as a strong base, but you can customise it as you please. When I say customise, I don’t mean ‘to ignore half of the measurements and instructions’. I mean adjusting the spices to taste and adding lots of fresh herbs of your choice. Anything from basil to coriander, oregano, rosemary and beyond would work!
- CHOP IT EASY: I love adding chives to this recipe. Don't bother chopping it up with a knife. Just take some kitchen scissors and simply cut it. This is WAY quicker and easier!
HOW TO SERVE VEGAN SCRAMBLED EGGS
Some of my favourite ways to serve these is:
- On fresh sourdough bread, sprinkled with TONS of chives
- Gently placed between two layers of bread for a delicious sandwich
- In a yummy cream cheese bagel (check out the quick recipe below!)
- In a full English breakfast!
BONUS: VEGAN SOUR CREAM
Want to make this recipe that extra bit special? Serve your tofu on fresh bread and your on homemade vegan sour cream!
No, you won’t need any fancy ingredients or a whole day of prep. All you need to do is grab your unsweetened plant based yoghurt and add ½ teaspoon of salt! Ta-daaa! If you prefer a gorgeous pink version, mix in ½ teaspoon of paprika powder. This is one of my favourite simple vegan tricks.
For more delicious and healthy vegan meals, make sure to check out my:
This is it, folks! You’ve now got yourself a brand new vegan egg substitute for breakfast. As always, if you have any trouble making my this recipe, simply comment down below or message me directly on Instagram. I’ll be sure to help you out in case you get stuck!
Don’t forget you can grab a free vegan booklet containing 90 VEGAN MEAL IDEAS below.
Tried out my vegan scrambled egg recipe? Make sure to share and tag @myveganminimalist so that I can see and comment on your creation!
Vegan Scrambled Egg
FOR THE SCRAMBLED TOFU EGG
- 349 g silken tofu
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- ¼ teaspoon paprika powder
- ½ teaspoon black salt
- A pinch salt (adjust to taste!)
FOR THE VEGAN SOUR CREAM
- ⅛ cup unsweetened plant-based yoghurt
- ⅓ teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Drain water from your tofu. First you will want to make sure that you’ve drained the water from your tofu. Don’t worry, you don’t need a tofu press. Simply cut open a small piece of the packaging and gently press to let out all the water
- Warm up your pan. I usually wait for it to warm up for about 1 minute on medium high heat. There’s no need to use oil, but if you do, I recommend a drizzle of sesame oil.
- Crumble up the tofu block in your hands above the pan and let it fall into the pan. Don’t worry if there are some larger blocks left. Not everything needs to be perfectly crumbled up at the start as silken tofu will easily fall apart by itself later. Leave on medium heat and stir occasionally.
- Add garlic powder, turmeric, paprika powder, crackle in some black pepper and a bit of salt. Stir well. Keep stirring occasionally for about 6 minutes.
- Wait until your tofu is cooked and ready for serving before adding black salt.
- Sprinkle with fresh chives, roasted pine nuts and sesame.