Oat milk hot chocolate that will blow your tastebuds away! This easy and delicious vegan hot cocoa is the perfect dairy free treat that will instantly lift up your mood. What’s more, it’s based on a super secret, deluxe traditional paste that has been used for decades to make rich, old-school hot chocolate.
Ready to jump right in?
What makes this the BEST oat milk hot chocolate
Why pick this one among the sea of other vegan hot cocoa recipes? Well, let me tell you, it is:
- Based on a SECRET & DELUXE TRADITIONAL PASTE. And no, you don’t need to buy this paste in a fancy shop! You will make it yourself in literally just 2 minutes. It’s the perfect, rich, chocolatey, subtly sweet paste.
- Slightly ADDICTIVE. I’m sorry, but the truth needs to be told. I developed this recipe without realising what a delicious monster it would turn into. The combination of brown sugar and agave syrup is heavenly. You’ll be wanting more and more, so don’t say you haven’t been warned.
- Super duper EASY. It’s simple, but fun to make! You will create a gorgeously rich chocolate paste that will serve as a base. It’s an easy, but delightful process.
- The perfect hot chocolate RECIPE FOR ONE! It’s the one recipe you need for a cosy alone time on the sofa. All you need is to get a blanket, wrap up and open a good book. Your self-care routine is complete. Of course, you can also adjust the portion size in the recipe card below if you’re making this for more people.
- Made of STAPLE VEGAN INGREDIENTS. Nothing fancy, just some plant based milk, cocoa and sweeteners (sugar + agave syrup). If you’re someone that loves baking or even just occasionally making some sweet vegan treats, you’ll probably have these ingredients in your kitchen cupboard already!
And if that doesn’t convince you, you’ll also be getting step-by-step photos to make sure you NAIL the recipe right away!
Whether you’re looking for the best lactose free hot chocolate
THE INGREDIENTS FOR YOUR VEGAN HOT COCOA
Want to make this super cosy no milk hot chocolate? You will need 4 ingredients only:
- Oat milk (shocking!)
- Cocoa powder
- Sugar (I used brown sugar)
- Agave syrup
I suggest choosing unsweetened oat milk (I used Oatly), since we’re adding our own delicious combo of sweeteners. However, if you’re someone that prefers their hot drinks really sweet, don’t be afraid to go for a sweetened version.
Before we jump straight in with our milk free hot chocolate – if you’re enjoying this recipe, subscribe to my newsletter below and instantly receive printable 90 Vegan Meal Ideas straight to your inbox!
STEP-BY-STEP INSTRUCTIONS FOR MY OAT MILK HOT CHOCOLATE
Never made dairy free hot chocolate before? No problem!
Let’s dive straight into the nitty-gritty!
1. MAKING A PASTE
Grab a small bowl and combine 2 tbsp cocoa, 1 tsp sugar and 1 tsp of agave syrup. Stir well, then slowly add 2 tbsp of oat milk. This will create the base for our recipe – the paste. You will want to grab a small whisk (or just a fork) and stir vigorously until your paste is completely smooth.
2. OPTIONAL STEP
Do yourself a favour and dip your finger into this rich, delicious paste! Just be careful not to eat it ALL, because we’ll be needing it for later!
3. ADD MILK
Now it’s time to transfer your paste to a medium-sized pan and add 200ml oat milk. Tip: Depending on your bowl it might be a bit difficult to transfer your paste to a pan as it tends to stick to the sides of the pan. To make things easier, you can pour your milk straight to the bowl and whisk it all up in your bowl before transferring to the pan.
4. HEAT UP
Heat your hot cocoa on medium-heat for about 4-5 minutes until you can see steam coming out of your pan. Stir occasionally. Ta-daa! If you want it extra foamy, use a whisk or an electric whisk. Your delicious vegan treat is now ready!
Super quick, easy and doesn’t require any fancy ingredients.
TIPS FOR MAKING YOUR DAIRY FREE HOT CHOCOLATE MIX
Want to make things eeeeeven better? Have a little look!
- Make it in a LARGE batch. Why not mix all your ingredients (except oat milk) ahead of time and store in a little jar or airtight container. Anytime you feel like hot chocolate, you can just add milk, warm it all up and BAM, here you go! Instant vegan hot chocolate mix is here ready for you!
- TOP IT UP LIKE CRAZY. Go ahead, treat yourself to the FULL experience. Add some vegan whipped cream, sprinkles, marshmallows or even booze if that’s your thing!
- GET DIPPING. One of the best ways to serve this is with other delicious vegan treats. Grab your favourite cookie or biscuit and get dipping! PRO TIP: Dip it in my heavenly vegan shortbread or the classic choc chip cookie!
IS COCOA POWDER DAIRY FREE?
This is a bit of a tricky one, so let’s get into it.
The short answer is yes. At least most of the time. I tried several brands of cocoa from Britain’s main supermarkets and never came across one that wouldn’t be dairy free. Cocoa powder itself should only contain cocoa on the ingredient list. No other ingredients, just cocoa.
However, what might confuse you are the words ‘might contain traces of milk’ often printed on the packaging. What does that mean? Is cocoa still dairy free?
To put it simply, it means that the factory that produces your cocoa also produces items that contain milk. Despite their best efforts, it could mean that a tiny amount of milk could still be present on the production line and thus possibly make it into your cocoa. The risk of that happening is low, so the text is mainly there to legally protect the manufacturer in the event that someone has an allergic reaction. You can read more about the reasoning behind the ‘may contain traces’ text over on Live Kindly.
To sum up, cocoa powder is vegan, but not always suitable for allergy sufferers!
For more delicious vegan desserts like this, make sure to check out my:
- The Best Vegan Waffle Recipe
- Shortbread Cookie with Chocolate
- Vegan Orange Cardamom Buns
- Vegan Bliss Balls
This just about wraps up my oat milk hot chocolate recipe! As always, if you have any trouble making my vegan shortbread biscuits, simply comment down below or message me directly on Instagram. I’ll be sure to help you out in case you get stuck!
Don’t forget you can grab a free vegan booklet containing 90 VEGAN MEAL IDEAS below.
Made my oat milk hot chocolate? Make sure to share and tag @myveganminimalist so that I can see and comment on your creation!
Oat Milk Hot Chocolate
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp agave syrup
- 200 ml oat milk (plus extra 2 tsp of oat milk for the paste)
Grab a small bowl and combine cocoa, sugar and agave syrup. Stir well, then slowly add 2 tbsp of oat milk. This will create the base for our recipe – the paste. You will want to grab a small whisk (or just a fork) and stir vigorously until your paste is completely smooth.
Now it’s time to transfer your paste to a medium-sized pan and add 200ml oat milk. Tip: Depending on your bowl it might be a bit difficult to transfer your paste to a pan as it tends to stick to the sides. To make things easier, you can pour your milk straight to the bowl and whisk it all up in your bowl before transferring to the pan.
Heat your hot cocoa on medium-heat for about 4-5 minutes until you can see steam coming out of your pan. Ta-daa! If you want it extra foamy, use a whisk or an electric whisk. Your delicious vegan treat is now ready!