This hot or cold apple cider vinegar and lemon juice drink is a good source of vitamin C and is so easy to make! Ready to boost your energy levels and made in under 2 minutes!
💌 Why I Adore This Recipe
- Serve it iced or hot.
- Packed with vitamins and healthy bacteria
- Simple ingredients
- Super easy to make
- Ready in minutes
You'll need just a handful of healthy ingredients to make this apple cider vinegar and lemon juice drink.
- Apple cider vinegar - If you can, opt for organic unfiltered apple cider vinegar containing 'The Mother'. This is the only type of ACV that contains 'The Mother', arguably the healthiest part.
- Fresh lemon juice - Citrus juice, such as lemon juice, is always best when freshly squeezed (rather than from concentrate). Remember to reserve one slice of lemon for serving (optional).
- Maple syrup - Adds a little sweetness to balance the two ingredients above.
- Cinnamon - A little sprinkle of cinnamon adds a sweet, woody & warm flavor.
Are you missing an ingredient? Scroll down to see my recommendations on how to substitute an ingredient.
Spice it up - If you want to add a spicy kick to this drink, sprinkle it with some cayenne pepper before serving.
- One glass - for serving
- One spoon - for stirring the ingredients
- Knife - for slicing the lemon
- Optional: citrus squeezer - for squeezing the lemon juice
Here's how you can bring this vibrant apple cider vinegar detox drink to life in your kitchen!
Hint - find the FULL recipe with exact ingredients in the recipe card at the bottom of this page.
1 & 2 - Mix apple cider vinegar, lemon juice, cold water, and maple syrup in a small glass or mug until maple syrup is completely dissolved.
3 - Sprinkle with cinnamon and add a lemon slice if desired.
Remember - This recipe allows for a lot of flexibility. You can adjust it to taste, adding more ACV or lemon juice for a more intense flavor. Similarly, you can add more water for a mellower version. Feel free to adjust it to taste when it comes to the sweetener, too - add more, less, or leave it out altogether.
💡 Pro Tips
- Adjust it to taste!
- Serve it warm in the winter months. If you use warm water, the ingredients will dissolve more easily.
- This recipe makes one serving, but you can double or triple it if desired..
- The taste takes some getting used to.
- Adjust sweetness to taste or leave out the sweetener altogether.
- Remember that cinnamon is insoluble in water, so don't worry if it doesn't dissolve - that's completely normal.
Apple cider vinegar shots - Drinking this without diluting it at all is not recommended. However, you can use less water for a stronger ACV + lemon shot!
Whether you drink it on an empty stomach shouldn't make a massive difference. Simply drink it when you most feel like it.
This is a potent & highly acidic drink, so don't drink it more than once daily. The more acidic the drink, the more harmful it is to your teeth. This is because it breaks down the enamel of your teeth, potentially causing damage.
The Mother is a byproduct of fermentation when turning apple juice into apple cider vinegar. It's often described as a 'cloudy, spongy, or stringy mass' containing good bacteria, including natural probiotics.
Here's how you can replace each ingredient.
- Maple syrup. There are so many ways to replace it. Some people use agave syrup, coconut sugar, brown sugar, or raw honey instead. You can remove the sweetener altogether or use liquid stevia for a sugar-free version.
- Lemon juice. Other fresh fruit juices will work too. You can try freshly squeezed lime juice, apple juice, or orange juice.
- Apple Cider Vinegar. Not every type of vinegar will work. The best replacement would probably be rice wine vinegar.
- Cinnamon. Leave it out or replace it with ground cloves, allspice, or pumpkin pie spice.
🍎 Benefits of Apple Cider Vinegar
First, remember that many health benefits of ACV have not been scientifically proven.
These potential health benefits are often anecdotal or taken from small studies involving animals rather than humans.
Small studies suggest this natural remedy may help improve blood sugar levels, aid weight loss, and improve gut health and the digestive system. However, very little scientific research exists on this (Source: Healthline).
Despite the above, vinegar is still a fantastic source of potassium, calcium, magnesium & phosphorus. Less refined versions (such as raw & unfiltered ACV) are also great sources of antioxidants.
🌿 Toppings & Add-ons
Here's how to take your apple cider vinegar and lemon juice to the next level.
- Fresh mint: if you want to mask the taste of apple cider vinegar, why not add a few fresh mint leaves before serving? Rub them well between your fingers to help release the aroma before adding to the drink.
- Turmeric: This mighty spice is linked with numerous health benefits and can give the drink an added boost of bright yellow while not changing the taste dramatically. Make sure to dissolve it in water before adding it to the drink.
🦷 Teeth warning
While I think this drink is absolutely delicious & such an energy booster, it's important to point out that consuming it in significant volumes might hurt your tooth enamel.
We all know that too much sugar can be harmful to our teeth. Did you know that acid is just as bad?
We use the pH scale to measure the acidity and alkalinity of foods. Acidic foods have pH levels of 4.6 or lower.
Apple cider vinegar contains acetic acid as a crucial ingredient. This makes it very acidic (pH level is 2 to 3). The lower the pH level, the more acidic the food is and the more potential it has to harm your tooth health.
This is why diluting this drink in water is essential. Adding water to apple cider vinegar makes it less acidic, raising its pH.
Drink this drink through a straw to minimse contact with teeth and protect your teeth enamel. Rinse your teeth with a glass of water after you're finished
It's best to drink this recipe right after making it. However, if you have any leftovers you wish to store, here's how to do it.
- Place the drink in an airtight container. I like to use a Weck jar or reuse a clean pickle jar. Ensure it's properly closed.
- Store it in the fridge for up to 3 days.
- Stir or shake well before serving.
🍹 More Healthy Drinks
Got questions about making this recipe? Let me know in the comments below, and I'll help!
The Best Apple Cider Vinegar And Lemon Juice Drink
- 1.5 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice freshly squeezed
- ½ teaspoon (0.5 teaspoon) maple syrup
- 1 cup (235 ml) water hot or cold
- 1 slice lemon
- Add all the ingredients to a small glass or mug. Mix well.1.5 tablespoon apple cider vinegar, 1 tablespoon lemon juice, ½ teaspoon maple syrup, 1 cup water
- Top off with cinnamon and a slice of lemon if desired.
- Best served straight away. See storing tips below.
- Tip 1 - Adjust it to taste!
- Tip 2 - This recipe makes one serving, but you can double or triple it if desired.
- Tip 3 - The taste takes some getting used to.
- Replace maple syrup with agave syrup, coconut sugar, brown sugar, or raw honey. Use liquid stevia for a sugar-free version.
- Replace lemon juice with lime, apple, or orange juice.
- Replace cinnamon with ground cloves or pumpkin pie spice.
- Replace ACV with rice wine vinegar.
Disclaimer: The nutritional information above is calculated automatically. The author of this post cannot guarantee 100% accuracy of this data.
Have you tried out this apple cider vinegar drink? Help more people find this recipe by leaving a star rating or comment below. While photos and expert tips are great, real-world feedback from readers is what truly makes the difference.