This tangy avocado lime crema is the perfect creamy dressing or dipping sauce with a velvety smooth texture. Packed with fresh flavors and made using just a handful of ingredients.
🌱 Why I Love This Recipe
- Silky, creamy texture
- Use as salad dressing, dip, or topping
- Healthy & fresh ingredients
- Packed with healthy fats
- Lime juice & cilantro take the flavor to the next level
- Serve with crunchy tortilla chips or tacos
- Goes well with my taco salad!
Whether you're gearing up for a big game day or just a regular Taco Tuesday this avocado lime crema recipe is a real must-try!
These simple ingredients should be easy to find in almost every grocery store. I've also added some suggestions on how to replace them.
Avocado - I went for the Hass avocado variety. Make sure you're using perfectly ripe avocados.
Soy yogurt - Many avocado crema recipes call for sour cream or Green yogurt. I wanted to create a more refreshing & lighter version that tastes unbelievably good but contains considerably less fat. This is why I used unsweetened soy yogurt. Of course, you can use any yogurt you have on hand.
Fresh lime juice - If needed, you can replace it with bottled lime juice from concentrate.
Garlic clove - Adjust the amount to taste. I used 1 clove but you can use more or less. Fresh garlic can be replaced with garlic powder or garlic granules if desired.
You'll also need black pepper and sea salt which you can adjust to taste.
Optional - salt flakes or red chili flakes for topping. See below for more variations.
GREEN TIP - Don't throw away the cilantro stems. They're perfectly edible and contain important nutrients. Plus, they help create that intense cilantro flavor in this dish.
There are just a few easy steps to this recipe.
Hint - this is just a simple visual overview. Grab in-depth instructions & exact measurement details in the recipe card at the bottom. Easy!
Photo 1 - First, slice the avocados in half (lengthwise). Discard the pits, and use a spoon to scoop the flesh straight into a food processor/blender.
Add the remaining ingredients to the food processor/blender.
Photo 2 - Blend for 1-2 minutes* until smooth. Taste and adjust, adding more salt/pepper/lime juice/chili if desired.
Sprinkle with chili flakes, finely chopped fresh cilantro & lime zest if desired.
*You might need to blend for a minute or two longer depending on your blender.
- Knife & spoon - to slice the avocado & scoop out the flesh.
- Food processor or blender - this crema is so light & easy to mix. You could even use an immersion blender (hand mixer).
💡 Top Tips
- If you prefer a thinner consistency simply add a bit of lime juice, water, or oil at the end & blend again.
- Play around with seasoning such as paprika, cumin, oregano, and thyme if desired.
- Add lime zest for double the lime goodness!
- If you're not a fan of cilantro, I recommend replacing it with other fresh herbs such as parsley or chives.
Don't forget! Once blended, adjust the avocado cream to taste. Add a pinch of salt, more lime juice, a little water, etc.
It's a mix between creamy & buttery avocado, zingy lime, fresh & fragrant cilantro, and spicy chili flakes (optional).
Yogurt and lime also bring out an acidic undertone.
This creates an altogether refreshing, zesty crema with a hint of spice.
Even though they're made from similar ingredients they're quite different.
Guacamole is chunky, while the crema is silky smooth.
However, you can use them in similar ways - both as a dipping sauce or topping.
No, it will keep the pastel green color because we used lime juice.
The acidity of lime juice helps slow down the activity of polyphenol oxidase which usually causes avocadoes to go brown (Source: Martha Stewart).
Switch things up by adding the following:
- Lime zest: for double the lime goodness.
- Lemon juice: can be used instead of lime juice for a slightly sweeter variation
- Spicy: make it extra spicy by adding some fresh chilies or jalapeños.
This avocado lime crema is highly versatile. It's the perfect topping, dip, or spread.
You can use it in a huge variety of dishes and ways such as:
- Topping: serve it with your favorite Mexican foods such as burrito bowls, salads, tacos, taquitos, quesadillas, etc.
- Dip: serve with tortilla chips, veggies, crunchy bread, or crackers.
You can also spread it on toast & sandwiches.
This dish keeps in the fridge so well.
To make preparations for a big dinner gathering or party less stressful, I like to prepare it the night ahead.
To store, simply transfer the crema to an airtight container. I like to use a glass jar or container with a secure, airtight plastic lid. Refrigerate for 3-4 days.
I don't recommend freezing this recipe.
🥭 Similar Recipes
If you love simple sauce recipes or healthy dips check out my:
Got any questions about making this creamy avocado sauce? Ask in the comments section below!
Tried this easy avocado cream recipe? I would appreciate it SO MUCH if you could leave a comment or review below.
Avocado Lime Crema - Healthy, Vegan Dip
- Food processor or blender
- Knife & chopping board
- 2 Hass avocados ripe
- ¾ cup yogurt I used unsweetened soy yogurt
- ½ large lime juice only
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- 1 garlic clove
- ⅓ cup fresh cilantro/coriander tightly packed, stalks included
- red chili flakes to taste
- salt and pepper to taste
- First, slice the avocados in half (lengthwise). Discard the pits, and use a spoon to scoop the flesh straight into a food processor/blender.2 Hass avocados
- Add the remaining ingredients to the food processor/blender.¾ cup yogurt, ½ large lime, ½ teaspoon onion powder, 1 garlic clove, ⅓ cup fresh cilantro/coriander, red chili flakes, salt and pepper
- Blend for 1-2 minutes until smooth. Taste and adjust, adding more salt/pepper/lime juice/chili if desired.
- Serve immediately.
Disclaimer: The nutritional information above is calculated automatically. The author of this post cannot guarantee 100% accuracy of this data.
Leave a Reply